Corporation Human Resources
Job #: F2013-421
Open until filled.
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay on the campus of CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non-profit institution that is related and affiliated to the California State University, Monterey Bay. The Corporation is a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) public benefit corporation that is a recognized auxiliary organization of California State University and was established in July 1994. The Corporation's mission is to further the educational purposes of the University. The Corporation is committed to a standard of excellence in the services it provides and in the quality of work expected of its employees.
Under the general supervision of the Human Resources Manager and oversight of accounting related functions provided by the Controller, the Payroll Technician is responsible for performing daily payroll processing functions utilizing various payroll and accounting software packages. This position is responsible for completing payroll each pay period according to Corporation policy and procedures and in compliance with State and Federal law.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs payroll functions utilizing the ADP payroll processing program and other in-house accounting software interface modules. Duties will include but not be limited to processing web-based timesheets, distributing checks, maintaining files, setting up direct deposits, maintaining benefit accruals, reviewing and maintaining ADP payroll reports, and verifying employee benefit deductions.
- Interprets, and applies the proper rules and regulations relating to the full range of pay and personnel-related transactions, many of which may not be specifically covered by precedents, policies, guidelines, laws, or grant/contract agreements; traces and corrects errors and discrepancies of personnel/payroll transaction documents ensuring accuracy of the information on the ADP Payroll data base.
- Provides immediate and detailed information on any aspect of an employee's payroll records as requested. Under direct supervision, ensures adherence to guidelines, policies, procedures and wage and hour law.
- Processes University invoices for reimbursed payroll activity on a monthly basis.
- Provides relevant payroll information on such matters as leaves of absence, leave accrual rates, insurance and retirement, which involves a careful review of all the facts of a case and a thorough knowledge of relevant Corporation policies and guidelines, State and Federal laws; assisting staff on the appropriate payroll rules and regulations for attendance reporting, separation completion of forms.
- Selects appropriate transaction codes for transmittal; applies various rules and regulations in determining holiday pay, sick, vacation, various salary increases; monitors intermittent hours worked to determine eligibility for health benefits, retirement and leave accrual; has a thorough knowledge of garnishment programs and processing requirements; computes and processes final settlement payments, and operates computer terminal to process various online payroll/personnel transactions utilizing ADP; reconciles and audits information prior to employee history update or release of payment; may format ADP computer pay programs and troubleshoot when necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining the ADP Payroll database; verifying and uploading the ADP General Ledger files into PeopleSoft financial system. Assist in the development and implementation of PeopleSoft interfaces and subsequent upgrades.
- Provides assistance with in-processing new employees, facilitates use of-web-based timekeeping, directs and assists employees with self-service module for address change, change in tax status, and other self- service functions.
- Works cooperatively with Sponsored Program Office (SPO), Accounting, Human Resources and other Corporation and University departments to ensure a cooperative and efficient working environment.
- Prepare spreadsheets and other reports as required.
- Along with the Controller, serve as the audit contact regarding payroll issues for CSU internal audit, annual W/C audit and Corporation annual audit including grant audits. Assist with verification of documents and inquiries regarding payroll and prepares audit reports and payroll payables.
- Prepares and presents payroll training workshops to Corporation community.
- Recommends process changes which increase effectiveness and efficiency
Promotes and maintains an atmosphere of excellent internal and external customer service within the accounting and human resources departments. Assists and/or provide back-up to other areas within the Corporation's functional areas as needed. Performs other duties or special assignments as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of Business English and arithmetic; developing and maintaining a database; general office methods, procedures, and practices; and the ability to deal pleasantly and tactfully with the public, students, faculty, and the Corporation employees. Ability to independently identify and acquire quickly the knowledge and appropriate payroll application of written policies and procedure information found in Corporation administrative manuals and guidelines, applicable State and Federal laws, and employee retirement system. Ability to learn other software programs specific to the Corporation and/or CSUMB. Ability to clearly explain a wide variety of complex procedures and policies to individuals who have minimal knowledge of pay and personnel related processes and procedures; review detailed numerical records or transactions and identify deviations from applicable policies or procedures; trace and correct processing errors; print or type numbers neatly on forms; use standard office machines, inputs various payroll/personnel transactions, format computer data and troubleshoot problem areas; independently draft and satisfactorily prepare, in final form, cover memoranda and responses to inquiries concerning applications of payroll/personnel policies and procedures; contend with and keep abreast of changes in a wide variety of complex resource materials in order to be in compliance with Corporation, State, and Federal codes, rules and regulations; independently prepare and reconcile pay and personnel related transaction reports on staffing, classifications, employee deductions, and salary patterns; read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; perform arithmetic computations rapidly and accurately.
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to three years of increasingly responsible specialized experience in preparing and processing payroll/personnel transaction documents which has provided the above skills, knowledge, and abilities OR any equivalent combination of education and experience that has provided the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
Demonstrated proficiency in payroll and HRIS software (ADP preferred), Microsoft Office Suite, and other databases. Demonstrated experience that clearly provides evidence of the knowledge and skills required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements identified above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
NOTE: Candidates identified for hire with the University Corporation at Monterey Bay must successfully complete a criminal background check.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Knowledge of accounting and HR practices related to payroll processing. Experience using ADP EzLabor and Pay Expert strongly preferred. Knowledge of PeopleSoft desirable. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The hourly range for this position is $19.81 - $21.75 per hour. This is a non-exempt position and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), 13 paid holidays per year and other benefits. Corporation of CSUMB positions are "at-will" employment.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to verbally communicate to exchange information, and to occasionally travel to other offices or locations to attend meetings or to pick up or deliver materials.
Please complete the required on-line Corporation application at http://hr.csumb.edu/j obs/db/fp/
A complete on-line Corporation application must be received in the University Corporation Human Resources Office TO BE GUARANTEED A REVIEW.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-4449, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. The University Corporation at CSUMB will not fax application materials.
The University Corporation at CSUMB is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.