Special Project Business Advisor
School of Business
Job #: FP2012-402
This is a salaried, benefited position with flexible variable hours (20-40hrs/week). Position is dependent on grant funds. Current funding available through 9/30/2013 Work Location: Salinas, CA
Open until filled.
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay on the campus of CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non-profit institution that is related and affiliated to the California State University, Monterey Bay. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non profit 501(c) (3) public benefits corporation that is a recognized auxiliary organization of California State University and was established in July 1994. The University Corporation's mission is to further the educational purposes of the University. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State Population. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is committed to a standard of excellence in the services it provides and in the quality of work expected of its employees.
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is funded by a grant from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) through the U.C. Merced (UCM) Lead SBDC. The SBDC offers one-stop assistance to individuals and small businesses by providing a wide variety of information and guidance in easily accessible locations. The program is a cooperative effort of the private sector, the educational community and federal, state and local governments and is an integral component of SBA's Entrepreneurial Development's network of training and counseling services. This specific position will provide support to the Salinas Valley region to mitigate the economic instability resulting from Capital One's closure of the HSBC facility in Salinas as well as other large layoff situations in the region.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of the CSUMB Small Business Development Center (SBDC), the Special Projects Business Advisor provides in-depth business consultation services to small business owners and potential owners in the pre-venture, start-up, and existing phases of operation, as well as guidance and oversight to the full SBDC small business consulting team. The Advisor will present employment opportunities from the local business community to the workforce development system, including the Capital One Rapid Response Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
The SBDC Special Projects Business Advisor will perform a variety of functions in all office environment, and will be responsible for providing small business management & marketing advice, technical assistance, and related educational services to the full SBDC small business advisory team as well as the SBDC's diverse client base of existing businesses and potential small business owners, as well as related internal office functions.
The Special Projects Business Advisor will:
- Be responsible for developing a comprehensive SBDC Action Strategy to mitigate the economic instability resulting from Capital One's closure of the HSBC facility in Salinas as well as other large layoff situations in the region.
- Provide high quality individual instruction to entrepreneurs, business owners, and business managers.
- Participate in the supervision and staffing of the CSUMB SBDC training programs, outreach services, individualized advisory services and graduate student counselors employed by the Center.
- Analyze situations, make recommendations, and provide technical assistance for clients with regard to business plans, market feasibility, financial viability, operations management, and legal structures
- Compose Scope(s) of Work with clients with clearly articulated and specific outcomes that are targeted to significantly improve the business' bottom line. Monitor resource expenses against program budget and client?s scope of work.
- Work together with the Assistant Director to maintain an appropriate level and mix of clients as required to meet annual goals and strategic plan objectives
- Develop and deliver high quality business training programs that are responsive to the needs of the business community served.
- Support the development of an online information and business assistance platform that provides information for entrepreneurs, small business owners or potential business owners.
- Assist the Director in determining topics, agendas, instructors, instructional materials, location, time and other resources required
- Serve as an instructor of business training programs and assist the Director with securing qualified outside instructors, as needed.
- Assist the Director with effectively marketing business training programs within assigned communities, so as to meet annual goals.
- The Special Projects Advisor must manage and coordinate all client services following guidelines developed by the UC Merced Lead Small Business Development Center (UCMSBDC). All activities and achievements must be documented via Web Client Activity Tracking System (WebCATS) in a timely, accurate, and comprehensive manner. Maintain adequate client files as per SBA and UC Merced Lead SBDC guidelines. Travel to outreach locations within CSUMB SBDC's service area and to SBDC professional programs is required
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Promotes and maintains an atmosphere of excellent internal and external customer service within the program and campus community.
- Attends workshops, conferences, and meetings as needed.
- Represent the Associate Director when required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The Special Projects Business Advisor must have a strong knowledge, skill and abilities grounded in practical realized small business ownership and management experiences. Knowledge of government and major corporate contracting processes, commercialization of technologies and agricultural trade a definite plus. Certification as an Economic Development Finance Professional also a plus.
The ideal candidate will have; a charismatic inspiring leadership style, a proven ability in building a successful team, possess excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, and the ability to build networks. Must also posses the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with colleagues from all areas of the Corporation and university, and complete tasks on time. Ability to think creatively and conceptually and to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough, and creative solution
Ability to provide assistance with the budgets and program delivery.. Ability to gather and analyze data; ability to reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations. Ability to quickly acquire understanding of the methods and procedures for providing and performing functions and services for post-award budget management, and an understanding of the relationships of these functions to other administrative functions. Ability to present clear and concise information orally and in written reports. Ability to manage budgets in an electronic environment.
Ability to adapt to the dynamics of organizational, procedural, and policy changes. Understanding of higher education issues and university environments. Ability to plan, organize, establish deadlines and determine priorities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Business Management, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Computer Science, or related field is not required, but is desirable; masters preferred. Significant knowledge of entrepreneurship, small business management and operations, accounting and financial analysis, marketing, market research, human resource management, financing, and legal issues required. One year experience related to the duties & responsibilities specified, e.g. business consulting or operating a small business, is preferred. Applicant must possess a valid driver's license. Candidates must be work eligible, communicate effectively and perform well in the interview(s).
SPECIAL CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Perform all essential functions, including the knowledge and abilities identified above, efficiently and effectively within assigned area office. Ensure that administrative policies are followed, that programs are innovative and responsive, and that top quality services are delivered. Utilize client and management feedback in striving for continuous improvement. Maintain positive, professional relations with other institutions. Demonstrated proficiency in using Excel. Experience in using the Internet and Microsoft Word. Must have own transportation, valid driver's license, and auto insurance. Flexible working hours. Ability to complete web-based training in Defensive Driving. Must continue to meet the established driving standards as a condition of employment.
NOTE: Candidates identified for hire with the University Corporation at Monterey Bay must successfully complete a criminal background check.
Experience working with University and/or its auxiliaries is a plus. Innovation Technology and Commercialization experience desirable. Knowledge of international trade. Advanced degree or additional experience a plus. Demonstrated experience tracking post-award budgets. At least three years of successful ownership of a small business enterprise is highly desirable. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services; demonstrated technical literacy.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Monthly salary for this position is $2,774.00/month. This is an exempt position and as such is not eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), 13 paid holidays per year and other benefits. University Corporation positions are at-will employment.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Please complete the required on-line Corporation application at http://hr.csumb.edu/jobs/db/fp/.
A complete on-line Corporation application must be received in the University Corporation Human Resources Office BY 5:00 P.M. on Friday, December 28, 2012, TO BE GUARANTEED A REVIEW. Applications received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the Corporation.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-4449, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. The University Corporation at CSUMB will not fax application materials.
The University Corporation at CSUMB is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.