Admin Support II
School of Business
Job #: FP2013-404
This is a half-time (20hrs/week), benefited position dependent upon continued funding. The position is located at the SBDC office in Salinas, CA
Open until filled.
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay on the campus of CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non-profit institution that is related and affiliated to the California State University, Monterey Bay. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non profit 501(c) (3) public benefits corporation that is a recognized auxiliary organization of California State University and was established in July 1994. The University Corporation's mission is to further the educational purposes of the University. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is committed to a standard of excellence in the services it provides and in the quality of work expected of its employees.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of the CSUMB Small Business Development Center (SBDC), the Budget Assistant provides post-award budgetary support to SBDC staff and business consultants in monitoring and reconciling expenses against budget.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Enters payroll expenses, operating expenditures, and revenues into budget spreadsheets, reconciling periodically with financial system expense reports, including trial balance reports. Monitors expenses against budget. Gathers supporting documentation for SBDC Associate Director review and approval.
- Completes purchase requests, payment requests, travel-related forms, and employee hiring forms. Applies appropriate accounting codes and follows established processing and accounting procedures. Under the direct guidance of the SBDC Associate Director, ensures all expenditures are reasonable, allocable, and allowable according to OMB and agency guidelines.
- Reconciles monthly credit card purchases, entering information into the financial system, and preparing monthly credit card reports. This requires coordinating with faculty and staff cardholders to gather needed information within accounting deadlines
- Oversees submittal of electronic timesheets for SBDC staff, including updating and transmitting electronic timesheet template within payroll deadlines, and reviewing timesheets for adherence to California overtime provisions.
- Maintains records through filing, retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, and coding.
- Performs basic arithmetic operations to calculate and/or verify expense totals and account balances.
- Operates computer to enter data into spreadsheet and/or database. Types routine correspondence.
- Operates office equipment, such as printer/copier and fax machine.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Promotes and maintains an atmosphere of excellent internal and external customer service within the program and campus community.
- Attends workshops, conferences, and meetings as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Demonstrated budget management and bookkeeping experience. Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with colleagues from all areas of the Corporation and university, and complete tasks on time. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to gather and analyze data; ability to reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations. Ability to present clear and concise information orally and in written reports. Ability to think creatively and conceptually and to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough, and creative solutions. Ability to quickly acquire understanding of the methods and procedures for providing and performing functions and services for post-award budget management, and an understanding of the relationships of these functions to other administrative functions. Ability to manage budgets in an electronic environment. Ability to plan, organize, establish deadlines and determine priorities. Ability to adapt to the dynamics of organizational, procedural, and policy changes. Understanding of higher education issues and university environments.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Three years of technical or administrative experience that involved budget tracking in an electronic environment performed under general supervision that involved supporting, monitoring and coordinating clerical work through a system of internal procedures and internal controls to ensure the efficient operation of an organization. Prospective applicants who have not had the experience listed may substitute other evidence of meeting the above qualifications for up to two years of the required administrative experience.
SPECIAL CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the knowledge and abilities identified above. Demonstrated proficiency in using Excel. Experience in using the Internet and Microsoft Word. Must have own transportation, valid driver's license, and auto insurance.
NOTE: Candidates identified for hire with the University Corporation at Monterey Bay must successfully complete a criminal background check.
Experience working with University auxiliaries. Demonstrated experience tracking post-award budgets. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services; demonstrated technical literacy.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The hourly rate for this position is $17.50. This is a non-exempt position and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), 13 paid holidays per year and other benefits.
University Corporation positions are at-will employment.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Please complete the required on-line Corporation application at http://hr.csumb.edu/jobs/db/fp/
A complete on-line Corporation application must be received in the University Corporation Human Resources Office BY 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 TO BE GUARANTEED A REVIEW. Applications received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the Corporation.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-4449, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. The University Corporation at CSUMB will not fax application materials.
The University Corporation at
CSUMB is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.