Tech Support III
Job #: FP2013-419
This is a part-time (30hrs/week) benefited position dependent upon continued funding. Current funding available through 9/30/14.
Open until filled. Application Screening Begins:
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay on the campus of CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is a non-profit institution that is related and affiliated to the California State University, Monterey Bay. The Corporation is a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) public benefit corporation that is a recognized auxiliary organization of California State University and was established in July 1994. The Corporation's mission is to further the educational purposes of the University. The University Corporation at Monterey Bay is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population. The Corporation is committed to a standard of excellence in the services it provides and in the quality of work expected of its employees. Every employee has an at-will relationship with the Corporation. This means that employment with the Corporation is at the mutual consent of the employer and the employee and is subject to termination by either party at will, with or without cause or advance notice
Under general supervision, the Technology Specialist will provide specific technical and administrative support for grant-supported teacher education projects. This individual will assist in providing advice and training concerning hardware and software across a diversity of education projects in all stages of maturity and adapting technology to a variety of project settings and requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide training and professional development, based on research and emerging standards and practices, for faculty and student participants in use of educational technologies;
- Research, implement and maintain software for each project, including making recommendations for improvements or modifications based on current and emerging technology usage
- Maintain and facilitate use of technology assets (including SMARTboard, Macbook Pro laptops, iPad 2s, document cameras, video cameras and related peripherals);
- Act as the primary/lead technical liaison among the project, teacher education department, and other campus personnel and external partners;
- In consultation with the principal investigator(s) and project staff, plan and implement technical aspects of projects, responding to both internal and external needs;
- In consultation with the principal investigator(s) and project staff, work with faculty and students on curriculum related technologies including, but not limited to, TK20, iLearn (moodle), Google applications, and iPad applications
- Assist the principal investigator(s) and project staff as well as faculty and students to edit, submit, share, and compress video projects
- Assist the principal investigator(s) and project staff with priorities and deadlines, and achieve collaborative project completion;
- Develop and maintain project related websites according to current and emerging industry standards;
- In consultation with the principal investigator(s) and project staff, plan and implement utilization of the CRM's student advising capacity;
- Assist the principal investigator(s) and project staff with coordination of seminars, workshops, and conferences, concerning administrative logistics and technical support
1. Performs other duties as assigned.
2. Promotes an atmosphere of excellent internal and external customer service within the department.
3. Attends workshops, meetings and conferences when deemed necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess knowledge of hardware and software, including experience with using and maintaining SMARTboard, Mac mobile lab, iPad 2s, document cameras, video cameras and related peripherals. Ability to identify and resolve software/hardware interface problems. Ability to write effectively and understand technical terminology. Ability to use the university's Content Management System to maintain websites and ability to use the university's Customer Relations Management system to access and update candidate data. Ability to use video editing software and make recommendations based on current web and video industry knowledge and accessibility standards. Comprehensive knowledge and experience in the use of standard office automation tools, including Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and use of email and calendaring tools. Ability to relate effectively with a diverse customer population and to translate intimidating and/or complicated processes into user friendly instructions. Ability to independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects. Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Education and Experience: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related field AND one year experience preferably with educational technology. OR an equivalent combination of education and experience that will provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Special Condition (s) of Employment: Demonstrated experience that clearly provides evidence of the knowledge and skills required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements identified above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Ability to complete web-based training in Defensive Driving and continue to meet the established driving standards as a condition of employment
NOTE: Candidates identified for hire with the University Corporation at Monterey Bay must successfully complete a criminal background check.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Experience working in Higher Education, and with K-12 educators preferred. Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, the CSUMB Vision Statement. Commitment to the core values of mutual respect, collaboration, service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population. Demonstrated technical literacy.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The hourly range for this position is $19.81 - $22.00 per hour. This is a non-exempt position and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), 13 paid holidays per year and other benefits. University Corporation positions are "at-will" employment.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to verbally communicate to exchange information, and to occasionally travel to other offices or locations to attend meetings or to pick up or deliver materials.
Please complete the required on-line Corporation application at http://hr.csumb.edu/jobs/db/fp/
A complete on-line Corporation application must be received in the University Corporation Human Resources Office BY 5:00 P.M. on Friday, June 14th, 2013 TO BE GUARANTEED A REVIEW. Applications received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the Corporation.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-4449, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. The University Corporation at CSUMB will not fax application materials.
The University Corporation at CSUMB is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.