Human Resources & Accounting
Job #: FP2014-434
Open until filled. Application Screening Begins:
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
The University Corporation at Monterey Bay on the campus of CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
Under general supervision, the Auxiliary Organizations Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing moderate to complex administrative support assignments in support of the day-to-day operations of the Corporation and management team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Performs a range of moderate to complex clerical, record keeping, and administrative duties (including, but not limited to typing and filing) in support of the infrastructure and daily operations of Corporation's accounting, human resources and payroll functions.
2. Establishes and maintains systems, both physical and electronic, for materials, documents, files and records, including reports, logs, and correspondence.
3. Prepares and processes purchase requisition forms. Codes invoices in preparation for approval by Auxiliary management. Collects and deposits copier revenue and any other commercial enterprises revenue as assigned.
4. Reviews Auxiliary websites regularly to verify the accuracy and timeliness of the content and ensures that the appropriate changes are made.
5. Coordinates travel arrangements. Processes travel and expense reimbursement requests following established Corporation and University polices and procedures.
6. Performs basic accounting functions including receiving and depositing cash and checks, administering petty cash and other related duties as needed.
7. Assists and serves as back-up to the Payroll Specialist when needed. Assists HR Generalist with data entry, job postings and other functions as needed.
8. Receives Vendor Data Record Forms and updates the Common Financial System (CFS)
9. Maintains and submits attendance and absence report for staff, as well as other payroll and personnel documents.
10. Assists with the production of reports, statistical data, and other publications. Maintains and updates Corporation forms on CSUMB.org website.
11. Maintains confidentiality and uses discretion in disseminating information.
12. Oversee and provide work direction to student assistant(s).
1. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with university and Auxiliary staff, faculty, students, as well as the general public.
2. Problem-solves various auxiliary-related administrative matters as they arise.
3. Takes on special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Fully functional knowledge of and skill in standard office procedures and practices. Ability to quickly acquire a thorough, detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing in a professional and effective manner with faculty, staff, students, and the public. Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports.
- Ability to use personal computers and appropriate job-related software. Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages. Ability to quickly learn and use new office support technology systems and software packages.
- Ability to independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects and apply a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist.
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make simple projections.
- Ability to effectively handle a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a cross-functional environment.
Must have equivalent to three years of progressively responsible administrative support experience, which has involved supporting, monitoring, and coordinating clerical work through a system of internal procedures and controls to ensure the efficient operation of an organization. Prospective applicants who have not had the experience listed may substitute other evidence of meeting the above qualifications for up to two years of the required experience.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the knowledge and abilities identified above.
- Possess excellent writing ability and ability to prepare correspondence on complex issues.
- Ability to make sound decisions and recommendations based on thorough analysis of situations.
- Must have a professional manner and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to use and quickly learn new office support technology systems and software packages.
- Ability to complete and pass training in Defensive Driving. Must continue to meet the established driving standards as a condition of employment.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
NOTE: Candidates identified for hire with the University Corporation at Monterey Bay must consent to a criminal background check.
- Experience working for a senior level administrator, ability to use discretion and judgment related to issues involving the personnel and payroll.
- Payroll experience and use of payroll systems (i.e. ADP, Kronos, etc.)
- College degree and higher education experience desirable.
- Experience working with an automated financial record keeping or budget system and with complex technical situations.
- Strong commitment to customer service, with a proactive and positive attitude toward assisting others.
Highly desirable : Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services; demonstrated technical literacy.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The hourly range for this position is $18-$20 per hour. This is a non-exempt position and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), 13 paid holidays per year and other benefits. Corporation positions are at-will employment.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to verbally communicate to exchange information; and to occasionally travel to other offices or locations to attend meetings or to pick up or deliver materials.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES :
Please complete the required on-line Corporation application at http://hr.csumb.edu/jobs/db/fp/
A complete on-line Corporation application must be received in the University Corporation Human Resources Office BY 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 TO BE GUARANTEED A REVIEW. Applications received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the Corporation.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-4449, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. The University Corporation at CSUMB will not fax application materials.
The University Corporation at CSUMB is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.