Administrative Support Coordinator
Administrative Support Coordinator I - 12 Mo
Job #: MB2012-CB1743
(Non-Exempt -- 12-month pay plan)
Open until filled. Application Screening Begins:
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Under the general supervision of the Chair of the Liberal Studies Department, the Administrative Support Coordinator (ASC) is responsible for carrying out the total clerical operations and assisting in accomplishing the administrative objectives in support of the Liberal Studies Department. These duties include, but are not limited to providing administrative support to the Department faculty and Advising Coordinator, responding to student queries about the program, coordinating logistics of faculty and staff recruitment, inputting data related to course scheduling and faculty teaching load, budget tracking, ordering office equipment and supplies; handling travel and other reimbursements for Department faculty and staff. The ASC I also:
- Provides clerical and administrative support to the Department, including the Department Chair, the faculty, the Liberal Studies Degree Completion Program, and the Liberal Studies Advising Center. Updates the Chair on any situation or circumstance having an impact on the Department?s operation or programs.
- Tracks the unit?s budget expenditures, evaluates and writes assessments of expenditures; maintains balances and information regarding the Department. Assists in the development of the annual budget.
- Makes all travel arrangements including Requests for Approval of Travel, air travel, rental cars, hotel accommodations, prepares reimbursements and reports upon return. Remains up-to-date on all university travel procedures, as well as procurement procedures.
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls, takes required action or refers requests as appropriate. Receives, sorts, date-stamps and distributes mail. Interacts with and supports students and student learning.
- Initiates, drafts and prepares cover memoranda and correspondences. Establishes and maintains a complex system of files and records for both physical and electronic materials. Maintains, assembles, and/or summarizes information from office files and other sources for the Chair?s use during appointments or meetings. Organizes documents to include reproduction, storage and security. Maintains confidential files, both physical and electronic, in accordance with Privacy Act of 1974.
- Organizes the maintenance of the office, equipment, supplies, space, and service requests. Identifies supplies that are needed, generates purchase orders, receives and organizes supplies. Co-manages the building where the Liberal Studies program is located.
- Oversees Student Assistants; determines the methods and procedures by which clerical work is to be accomplished; controls the workflow and establishes priorities and deadlines.
- Updates Department publications, both printed and web- based. Ensures that all Department publications are current.
- Coordinates Department functions during special events such as Capstone Festival and Commencement Week activities.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of: English grammar, punctuation, and spelling; office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages. Thorough knowledge and ability to be fully functional in all technical aspects of work assignments.
Ability to: quickly acquire a thorough, detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures as they relate to the department; make sound independent decisions and recommendations based on current policies and procedures, and a thorough analysis of current situations; independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects under strict deadlines; apply a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist; accurately perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, identify and trace errors, and make simple projections; draft and compose correspondence and standard reports; effectively handle a broad range of interpersonal contacts, including those at the most sensitive levels and those requiring strict confidentiality; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and others; provide a strong commitment to customer service, with a proactive and positive attitude about assisting others.
Equivalent to four (4) years of general office clerical work experience under supervision which has involved supporting, monitoring, coordinating clerical work through a system of international procedures and internal controls to ensure the efficient operation of an organizational and demonstrated knowledge and abilities. Prospective applicants who have not had the experience listed may substitute other evidence of meeting the above qualifications for up to four (4) years of the required experience.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and packages. Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position, including the knowledge and abilities identified above.
Bilingual ability (Spanish-English). A college degree desirable. Academic setting experience. Technical fluency with Access, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office Professional Suite, Oracle-PeopleSoft/CMS baseline system; Internet and intranet browsing, and Google mail and calendaring programs. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the Core Values.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
$2,808 - $4,212 per month with the anticipated hiring salary being at or near entry level. CSUMB offers an attractive employee benefits package, CSU Benefits R07.
Note: The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, Employee Housing.
All candidates must complete and sign a Background Check Consent Form specific to this position when interviewed at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). A Background Check includes an education verification (if applicable), confirmation of dates of employment/salaries and a criminal history check. A Background Check will be performed if you are a finalist for this position. The criminal history check will be conducted by a third-party agency prior to making the job offer to the successful candidate. Internal CSUMB Applicants: Finalists who are currently employed as a state employee at CSUMB are not required to undergo a criminal history background check.
A completed online application and resume must be received in the Human Resources Office BY 5:00 P.M. ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2012, TO BE GUARANTEED A REVIEW. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
CSUMB is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.