Administrative Support Coordinator
Admin Support Coordinator I
Early Outreach & Support Programs
Job #: MB2012-CB1744
This is a full-time (40- hours per week), temporary position through 12/31/2012;
with the possibility of becoming regular based on funding and job performance.
Open until filled. Application Screening Begins:
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Under the general supervision of the Director for Early Outreach and Support Programs (EOSP), the Administrative Support Coordinator (ASC) is responsible for providing office support to the Director and maintains the administrative objectives of the programs. The programs include Early Assessment Program, Educational Opportunity Program, Student Support Services, College Assistance Migrant Program, Educational Talent Search, and Upward Bound. The Administrative Support Coordinator I establishes and maintains various tracking systems for departmental functional reporting requirements, assists with the preparation of written materials, performs basic financial reconciliation functions, supports various interdepartmental work teams, and provides general clerical support. The ASC also is responsible for the following:
- Provides a variety of technical/clerical duties in support of the Director and the Department, requiring discretion and good judgment when performing assigned tasks. Receives students, other campus faculty, staff and administrators, and the public at large; handling multiple requests from these constituencies. Responsible for answering and forwarding, as necessary; inquiries pertaining to department/university services, policies, procedures using tact and diplomacy. Schedules staff meetings, prepares agenda items, records minutes, and follow-up accordingly.
- Maintains, tracks, and reconciles department operating budget expenditures in a timely manner. Provides budget status reports as requested by the Director. Works with and applies a wide range of University policies and procedures. Prepares and processes purchase requisitions, reimbursements, travel, and other transactions as necessary to meet the needs of the department.
- Coordinates and oversees complex travel arrangements, to include meeting or event scheduling, facility reservations, transportation, lodging, conference registration, travel authorization and claim forms; makes special arrangements for hospitality; and processes all travel and expense reimbursement requests.
- Establishes and maintains various data-tracking systems (physical and electronic) in order to fulfill departmental function reporting requirements. Maintains, organizes, assembles, and/or summarizes information from office files or other sources for the Director?s use during appointments or meetings. Assists with the preparation of written materials. Prepares and distributes a variety of correspondence, reports, and other communications to the campus community and the center's clients under supervision of the Director.
- Researches information and prepares job action forms for employment appointments; maintains and submits attendance and absence reports for staff, as well as payroll and other personnel documents.
- Provides work direction to student assistants; determines the methods and procedures by which student work is to be accomplished; completes performance evaluations or verifies that performance evaluations have been completed by direct supervisors. Runs monthly student timekeeping reports as needed for payroll processing.
- Identifies supplies, materials, equipment, and services needed for the office and/or requested by the staff. Obtains appropriate approvals. Prepares and processes purchase requisition forms; receives and organizes supplies for storage and/or distribution; reviews and confirms accuracy of invoices for approval of payment and resolves any discrepancies accordingly. Submits work orders for office and equipment maintenance.
- Maintains confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education?s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California?s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues. Creates and maintains a system (including file system and web-based system) for tracking student progress through the learning outcomes of the assigned department programs, from the point of application to the program through graduation from the program. Maintains and evaluates student records related to state certifications for credentialed classroom teachers. Organizes and maintains complex file systems and records, as well as confidential files and correspondence; assembles information from these and other sources in response to requests made by staff.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as building manager and building emergency coordinator. Responsible for building access, work order documentation and associated functions.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of: English grammar, punctuation, and spelling; office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages. Thorough knowledge and ability to be fully functional in all technical aspects of work assignments.
Ability to: quickly acquire a thorough, detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures as they relate to the department; make sound independent decisions and recommendations based on current policies and procedures, and a thorough analysis of current situations; independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects under strict deadlines; apply a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist; accurately perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, identify and trace errors, and make simple projections; draft and compose correspondence and standard reports; effectively handle a broad range of interpersonal contacts, including those at the most sensitive levels and those requiring strict confidentiality; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and others; provide a strong commitment to customer service, with a proactive and positive attitude about assisting others.
Equivalent to four (4) years of general office clerical work experience under supervision which has involved supporting, monitoring, coordinating clerical work through a system of international procedures and internal controls to ensure the efficient operation of an organizational and demonstrated knowledge and abilities. Prospective applicants who have not had the experience listed may substitute other evidence of meeting the above qualifications for up to four (4) years of the required experience.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
Working knowledge of budget and accounting practices. Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and packages. Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position, including the knowledge and abilities identified above.
Possess a Career Readiness Certificate. Experience working with diverse populations and in academic settings. Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Professional Suite, Oracle- PeopleSoft/CMS baseline system; Internet and intranet browsing, and Google mail and calendaring programs. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the Core Values.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
The entire salary range is $2,808 - $4,212 per month. The anticipated hiring salary is at or near entry level. CSUMB offers an attractive employee benefits package, CSU Benefits R07.
Note: The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, Employee Housing.
All candidates must complete and sign a Background Check Consent Form specific to this position when interviewed at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). A Background Check includes an education verification (if applicable), confirmation of dates of employment/salaries and a criminal history check. A Background Check will be performed if you are a finalist for this position. The criminal history check will be conducted by a third-party agency prior to making the job offer to the successful candidate. Internal CSUMB Applicants: Finalists who are currently employed as a state employee at CSUMB are not required to undergo a criminal history background check.
A completed online application and resume must be received by Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. on the priority screen date listed above to be guaranteed a review. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
CSUMB is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.