Administrative Systems Analyst - Student Accounts
Information Technology Consultant - Career - 12 Month
Administrative Systems Management
Job #: MB2014-PD1918
Open until filled. Application Screening Begins:
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically underserved communities. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community which enables students, faculty and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Administrative Systems Management (ASM) and the daily supervision of the Lead Administrative Analyst, the Student Accounts System Analyst is primarily responsible for analyzing data and assisting in planning, implementation and operation of computer application systems which support the Student Accounts Receivable Office. The Student Accounts System Analyst will serve as the lead analyst for the Student Financials module and will work closely with others in ASM, the Student Accounts Receivable and Student Information Systems Offices, the Information Technology Office and other campus departments in resolving system problems, setting operating procedures and disseminating information.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for testing the functionality of administrative computer systems, including PeopleSoft CMS Student Financials, etc., including upgrades, maintenance packs and patches, new functionality and integrity/quality of system inputs (interfaces, batch feeds) and outputs (interfaces, batch feeds, reports, screens, Chancellor's Office Accounts Receivable and IT departments. Provides recommendations and input into design of internal controls. Provides assistance for advanced query tools. Develops a thorough understanding of accounting control functionality in the PeopleSoft CMS system and provides guidance on changes to existing work processes. Works with student accounting in streamlining business processes, identifying and making recommendations for improvements. Provides support for process mapping and other quality initiatives within ASM.
- Documents, disseminates and trains student accounting personnel on business processes and procedures. Monitors student financials systems status and coordinates problems and procedures with departments, accounting personnel and IT representatives.
- Responsible for maintaining setup in student financials, including but not limited to tuition calc rules, item type mapping, refunds, adjustment calendars, 1098T set up and filing, etc.
- Prepares and distributes system-generated accounting and manually-prepared control reports/queries to authorized recipients; expedites late or missing reports/queries. Identifies and recommends needed report improvements.
- Provides functional and technical support for the development, testing, installation, operation and maintenance of student financials application systems including CMS Student Financials, CASHNet, various database/web applications and general business life cycle (e.g. month/year-end activities, registration period, etc.) Provides assistance and input into development of modifications and/or interfaces of applications that interact with student financials (e.g. housing system, student system(s) other than CMS, etc.)
- Provides functional and technical support for the development and delivery in various reporting functions, including, but not limited to, CMS Student/HR and Hyperion systems. Serves as back up in monitoring and maintaining Integration Broker between CMS Student/HR and Finance; troubleshoots issues and coordinates appropriate fixes with IT.
- Attends software update conferences and other professional training meetings as required to be able to represent ASM and Finance in campus systems planning functions.
- Maintains awareness of customer service requirements and expected level of customer service.
- Develops functional understanding of the various enterprise systems throughout ASM, including CMS Finance, CMS HR, etc. May provide back-up to others in the department when needed.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: CMS PeopleSoft, SCT Banner and/or other student information applications; information technology systems and/or applications, including campus-wide systems, access procedures, networks and/or databases; data administration principles and techniques; network administration; and training theory and practices.
Skills: proficiency in standard software packages; demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to: apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support; integrate multiple applications and/or systems; analyze data requirements and research data availability and access methods; coordinate and implement data exchanges and conversions; develop and deliver technical training and user documentation; work with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Working knowledge of common software application packages, database systems and sources and training methods.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
Knowledge of Student Financials processes and applications; and operation analysis and techniques. Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved; handle multiple work unit priorities and projects; research, develop and evaluate policies and programs, including skill in the collections, evaluation and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations; anticipate problems and address them proactively; effectively interpret, organize and present information and ideas in written or presentation form; and to quickly learn features of new software releases and modules.
Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with broad administrative impact and implications. Demonstrated experience involving analysis and evaluation leading to the development or improvement of student administrative policies, procedures and/or practices. Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical concepts and ideas to non-technical individuals. Demonstrated record of a strong customer service orientation. Demonstrated success in working collaboratively in a team-oriented environment. Experience in creating reports using SQR, nVision and/or BRIO; in preparing system documentation; and in implementing ERP systems. Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the knowledge and abilities identified above.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (http://goo.gl/CKDHa) as a condition of employment.
Three years of technical or administrative experience in student administrative systems. Experience in using CSU/CMS PeopleSoft and SCT Banner student information systems. Experience in implementing Student Accounting systems. Strong system background as a user or developer. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB's Vision.
Typical office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires work at a computer/video display terminal and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
$4,372 - $8,949 per month, with an anticipated hiring salary at or near entry level. CSUMB offers an attractive employee benefits package, CSU Benefits R09. The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, Employee Housing.
A completed online application and resume must be received by Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. on the priority screen date listed above to be guaranteed a review. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389, or TDD at (800) 735-2929. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map) or our Student Services Building – first floor (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours and the location of each site. CSUMB will not fax application materials.
CSUMB is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.